Set up the Cookie Banner App
If you are catering to a global audience, especially visitors from select European regions, the Cookie Banner app can provide you peace of mind that customer privacy laws are appropriately followed by asking your customers first to provide their consent.
Before you begin
- If you have visitors from select European regions (EU, EEA, UK, and Switzerland), you may need to ensure first that your store will only allow visitor data to be collected from them when they provide their consent.
- This can be updated by going to your Shopify admin > Online Store > Preferences and selecting either Partially collected before consent or Collected after consent.
Once these are correctly established, it's time to set up the Cookies Banner app from the Vitals User Admin.
Setting up the Cookie Banner app
Upon opening the Vitals app's dashboard, you can look for the Cookie Banner app under All Apps, or you can search for it via the Apps mega menu:
General and Design Settings
- The General and Design settings contain the different appearance settings of the Cookies Banner app. It has various customizable settings like the type of Cookies Banner (Floating or Fixed Bottom) and the colors of its parts.
Once you're satisfied with the General settings, you can now explore the two types of Cookie Banners that you can enable with the app.
The Cookie Consent Banner
This is the Cookie Banner that allows your store to ask for visitors' consent before allowing non-essential cookies to be triggered on your store.
- This type of Cookie Banner will only show up if two things happen:
- You go to the online store's "Preferences" and choose either "Partially collected before consent" or "Collected after consent" as your privacy option.
- The person visiting your store is from a European country like the EU, EEA, UK, or Switzerland.
Within the settings of the Cookie Consent Banner type, you can change different appearance options, like the main message itself, the Accept and Reject buttons, and their respective colors.
💡 If your store supports multiple languages, you can view how they are translated (and change them accordingly) by clicking on Localization at the top of this app's settings.
Informative Cookie Banner
This is the traditional Informative Cookie Banner, which merely notifies visitors that you're using cookies, and by using the website, you consent.
This Cookie Banner type will appear if the setting on the Online Store > Preferences > Customer Privacy is set to Collected before consent, which doesn't need consent from the visitor.
Settings such as the Text on the cookie banner and the text of the I Accept button can be changed here.
💡 If the Only show the Informative Cookie Banner to users from Europe is unchecked, all visitors from all over the world will see this Informative Cookie Banner.
Frequently Asked Questions
If I have both Cookie Banners enabled, which of them and to whom will it appear on my store?
|Store Preferences||Visitor from EU||Visitor from non-EU|
|Collected before Consent||Informative||Informative|
|Partially collected before consent||Cookie Consent Banner||Informative|
|Collected after consent||Cookie Consent Banner||Informative|
What if a visitor wants to change his consent answer? For example, he Declined the consent, but now he wants to Accept it.
He will need to delete the browser cookies from their device or visit the store in an Incognito/Private mode of the browser. For more information, refer to this resource: How to use the Incognito mode.
Why does my analytics count of impressions show less than the traffic I have?
Your store is probably configured to allow customers from EU to reject cookies. Until cookie usage is accepted, analytics impression events will not be triggered. You can find more details here.